Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Real Practice

Yesterday's practice was mostly a little barrier hopping and some bullshitting. I like to bullshit, but you can't shit a shitter and I wanted to ride, so today I went to the hardware store, bought some rebar, some eye hooks, a 4 lb. sledge, and some spray paint and built some barriers. I also picked up a mess of those little orange flags and headed over to Charlotte Park for some real rehearsal. It had been raining all night and all day so the course was thoroughly soaked. It was a little like last January in Knoxville; water everywhere. I set up the barriers, layed out the flags and ripped off 6 laps in 53 minutes. I was basically whipped by then from riding with that much resistance (deep grass and deep water) but with the flags out it made bike handling an issue and I think I've got a really difficult course. The barriers are a little small, however, so I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board and find some 1x18's and really make something to jump over. I took a picture of the spray paint phase but it didn't come out and it was raining too hard to show off the course so you'll have to wait for next time (a few weeks from now...)

Anyway, I'm headed out of town tomorrow, won't even have time to golf before I leave town, but hopefully I'll get into a little riding when I'm over in Charlottesville. Season kicks off in 17 days, hard to know what my fitness is like. There were some fast guys at practice last night but they weren't really showing me anything so it's hard to say... At least I weigh less than I did at the beginning of last season, of course I was racing the 4's last year and I opted to upgrade to 2's at the end of last season. 1 full hour plus the SS race should whip this old boy into shape...

No comments: