Saturday, January 10, 2009

Knoxiecross #1

Complete mudfest in Knoxville today. Raining when I arrived, rained hard through the first four laps. Basically rode through an inch of water/mud the entire race. Got off to a good start, comfortably in second, looked back about halfway through the first lap and couldn't see the third place rider. It was like the pack vanished. The two of us worked together a little bit through two laps then he got away, simple as that. I was in survival mode in those conditions but the two of us stayed well out in front through our 6 laps.

Race director was running late so I had to bag the SS race so I could make the Titans playoff game. Such a close game, so sad. When you turn the ball over twice in the red zone, you're going to have a tough time winning. Simple as that. Tomorrow back to Knoxville for two races this time. Weather will be better, albeit a little colder. The mud will still probably be there but I won't mind. That's what the Single Speed is for.

Incidentally, for the first time since my first race I felt like my gear was a little tall. There was quite a bit of elevation gain and the tall grass coupled with the water and mud produced a lot of drag. Problem is as soon as I go with a smaller gear I'll probably just regret it so I think I'll just work on building up the quads and try to avoid the endless trap that is changing gears for different courses.

I was in too much of a rush to grab any pictures, but I'll tell you I spent about 20 minutes "pre-washing" all my riding gear in the shower before it went into the washing machine, if that gives any indication of the condition my bike and I were in. Lots of mud.

No comments: