Thursday, June 3, 2010

Summer Reading

Summer's finally arrived. Out of the dregs of a spring spent just trying to walk, I'm back to more normal activities. This week I took about 50 books into McCay's and turned them into Summer Reading Gold. I've gotten away from novels, not because I think they're a waste of time, but because I find myself empathizing with the characters and obsessing over plot. When I catch myself daydreaming, on-stage, about a character in a book I'm reading, I know it's time to put it down and engage in something with a little more utility. Food, Economics, Social Theory, the Outdoors and Yoga are my main topics of interest. I hope it's not too pretentious, but I wanted to share my summer reading list:

A couple by the Dalai Lama, the king of joy, some opposing viewpoints on the state of the world, several volumes on yoga, some straight up travel writing (I like to stash the Best Of series under the benches in the van, and it was only $1.50!) and ultramarathoner Dean Karnazes' autobiography.  There's a little too much about the state of the world, I'll need to balance it with some lighter fare, but that'll come around on the road I'm sure.

No comments: