Tuesday, February 2, 2010

State Championship

Last year, the State Championship race was my third race in 8 years. I entered the Single Speed race, wished I'd entered the CX4's and ended up in like 6th place or something. Pack fill. This year State was held two months later amidst a "massive" snowstorm. This meant several things. It meant that most of the roadies and mountain bikers who race cross as a secondary pursuit are doing "base miles" and as such, wouldn't be caught anywhere near a cyclocross race during their base period. It also meant that many of the guys who are still racing were either unwilling or unable to conquer the storm and get to the race. There were only 5 of us in the Pro 1/2 race, and only 2 of us were from Tennessee. You can see where this is heading.



It's a little awkward telling people you're the State Champion at a sport that only attracts 2-5 people per race. It's even harder explaining that even though I came in second, I'm still the State Champion. When a seasoned, national pro shows up and kicks your ass on your home turf it's humbling. It's actually a little irritating. I mean, I would have won like $100 if Adam hadn't shown up. So basically I was the fastest guy from Tennessee that showed up on Sunday. Simple.

No comments: