Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Bluegrass Festivals

Last weekend the Stringdusters played two bluegrass festivals. One in Boone, NC and another somewhere in West Virginia (I was half asleep arriving and leaving, so I haven't any clue where we were). I probably would have had a better time if I wasn't still dragging ass from last weeks festivities. Blue Highway in Boone, Cadillac Sky in WV. I'm developing a new on stage routine where I choose a member of a band I love (like those mentioned) and take every opportunity to crack jokes with them in the punch line. This week it was Tim Stafford (always a favorite target) and Brian Simpson. Finally pulled the van into the KMart parking lot at 1am.

Last night I finally took out the compost (Sarah's been collecting it for weeks while I've been gone, it's already half decomposed in the fridge) and found that the pears from the yard (two wheelbarrows full) have already broken down into a rich humus. Compost is amazing. We're pulling tomatoes off the vines in our overgrown garden. Most of them are scarred from the drought but there's still nothing like a homegrown tomato.

Got on the bike yesterday for the first time since a 5 hour epic Saturday of Pagosa. A head cold and beat up body made for a pretty short and un-inspired ride. Probably should have waited. the singlespeed is pretty tough when the body's only running at about 50%. Walked some sections of my favorite trails for the first time ever. The good news is that I'm feeling better today, I've lost some weight and I'm hoping by tomorrow I can track down the group ride and try to sit in with the fellers.

I feel like I should be contributing something substantial here instead of running down a list of what's going on, but the brain is still waiting to jumpstart and this is all I've got.

Last week, at my mothers house, I randomly opened a copy of Atlas Shrugged, one of the longest fictional works published in any language, and found my original birth certificate inside. Strange. Now I'm compelled to read it. Go Capitalism.

No comments: